Bridge Cap Finish, was: Short Treble (sustain?)

Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:09:36 -0800

Re: Short Treble (sustain?)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: November 02, 2003 4:23 AM
  Subject: Bridge Cap Finish, was: Short Treble (sustain?)

  I have long wondered about bridge cap finishes. I have been omitting =
the black goop, but I have also been leaving the cap completely =
unfinished. Not saying that's the best thing. I can certainly see that a =
solid cap could benefit from some sort of coating protection, but I =
wonder in the case of a horizontally laminated (epoxy) bridge cap, isn't =
the bridge fairly well protected by the five layers of epoxy (is shellac =
or polyurethane going to provide much additional benefit)?

  Terry Farrell

Personally I see no reason to put any kind of finish on the bridge cap =
at all. The graphite mixture was intended to make the bridge surface =
lubricous and allow the string to render over it easily. Of course this =
theory ignored the bridge pins and the string offset. If the idea is to =
hermetically seal the bridge against water vapor it's going to take =
about 1 or 2 mm of epoxy. Nothing else will do. So, what's the point? =
Other than, perhaps, for looks. But no clear finish known to man (or =
woman, and, believe me they use some finished men have never heard of!) =
is going to stand up to the spot forces imposed by a taught string =
passing over it. So, use a nice hard wood and leave it alone. Or, if you =
must, spray on some kind of dry Teflon product and rub it down with some =
nicely.

Del