spinet hammer blow

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:14:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 7:26 PM
Subject: spinet hammer blow

> Got a 1967 wurlitzer spinet. Virtually perfect, UNused condition. little or
> no wear on action; which brings me to this point: Action in good regulation,
> except the hammer blow distance is only 1 3/8"! Slightly less in the bass.
> ONE HALF INCH closer to the strings than the usual
> 1 7/8".  Hammer rail height has not been altered from factory. The action
> works just fine the way it is, so should I leave well enough alone, or
> REMOVE some felt from under the hammer rail? (Btw, the hammer rail is
> resting firmly on the felt squares, which are original, and have not been
> heightened, and the hammer stems are also resting on the rail, with
> capstans (sticker wires) correctly adjusted.)
>
> Terry Peterson

    The blow in a spinet is usually a little shorter than in larger verticals.  Not always, but usually closer to 1 3/4" rather than 1 7/8".  I know, that's only an eighth of an inch difference.   However, 1 3/8"  is quite short.  Does the piano have any power, any volume?  Will it play loud?  I don't know -- if all the other regulation parameters, especially key height, dip, and aftertouch are correct, I guess I would leave it alone.  But if it won't play fortissimo, then I'd think about increasing the blow and re-regulating the rest.
    --David Nereson, RPT