Player Pump Installation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:39:10 -0600

>Good evening all: I will be going out to inspect a player piano tomorrow
>with the prospect of installing a motor on the player action. The piano
>currently has an Electrolux vacuum cleaner connected to the player system.
>Yikes! Some unknown "genius" installed this Electrolux, oblivious to the
>fact that when it is running you can hardly hear the piano! I also suspect
>that a vacuum cleaner does not create the proper level of vacuum, and may
>be overworking the system.  In any event, the client wants me to look over
>the piano and possibly install the correct motor, the one that Schaff
>sells.  I would appreciate any pointers on this job - the kit comes with
>installation directions, of course, but it would be nice to know of any
>potential difficulties in advance.

Odds are, the Electrolux is moving about as much air as the official
suction unit will, though the official box should be somewhat quieter. A
good working player should function on 4 or five inches of vacuum (water) -
six tops. You should be able to foot pump it comfortably loud enough to
annoy the neighbors. If not, then the pump is necessary just to overpower
the leaks, whatever noise it makes in the process. Odds also are that the
piano needs rebuilt, as well as the player, and it would be best if the
suction box were not expected to circumvent these requirements, as is
typically the case. Test the piano first, and make sure the customer knows
what the suction unit will and won't do, and the realistic condition of
both the piano and the player mechanism, before doing anything.

>Also, what about the automatic reroll unit? Do you usually install both
>together?
>Thanks,
>Patrick C. Poulson

I like a re-roll and shut-off with a suction box. People put a roll on and
wander off like the piano is a radio providing background noise. The
re-roll and shut-off saves the rolls from being eaten quite as often or
badly. I also like a re-roll speed governor box to prevent the Mach 3
re-rolls and flap-beater thing at the end. Yea, I know the PPCo unit has a
two speed controller that allows a slower re-roll speed, but by the time
the reservoir is expanded and the motor winds down, the roll is half re-wound.

Ron N