"training" pianos?

Carman Gentile cgpiano@humboldt1.com
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:04:54 -0800

...The client told me that thier piano didn't stay in tune for very long
and that the previous tuner had told her that it was probably because she
didn't have it tuned regularly when she first got it. (This piano had not
been tuned for over a year after they first got it.) Their tuner said that
it hadn't been "trained" properly, and it would never hold a tune very well...

    My own experience is that the more regularly a piano is tuned, the more
stable the tuning remains between service appointments.  It is as though
the instrument has formed it's tuning the same way a pair of shoes forms to
our feet.  How this happens exactly, I do not know but we do know that
there are tremendous forces occurring within a piano, even when it is at
rest.  The tension of the strings against the bridges and soundboard, the
forces between the soundboard edges and case rim, and the influences of
changes in temperature and humidity all combine (somehow) to affect the
piano's anatomy and physiology. It seems to me that when we add our own
influence to the string tensions when tuning, this has the effect of
"training" or molding the instrument to stabilize more readily to its
correct tuning.  I have not found the right choice of words to use to
explain this to my clients.

    I have used the analogy that a neglected piano is like an ill-mannered
child with a strong will.  It takes repeated corrective measures to get it
to stay on the right path.
    May I suggest that the above tuner's explanation may not have been too
much B.S. after all, but just his own effort to illustrate the necessity of
regular tunings.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter