"training" pianos?

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:52:13 -0700

New piano wire stretches considerably in its first few years of
service.  Most piano makers recommend a minimum tuning schedule of every
three months (minimum meaning you barely play it).  I generally tell
clients that a new or re-strung piano will need, depending on usage, tuning
every 2-3 months in the first year, three to four in the second and then
four to six thereafter depending on usage.  I have noted that tunings may
be quite stable over the course of a whole year after the settling in
period if the climate in or around the piano is kept constant (temperature
and relative humidity).  Coming to the piano business from fine carpentry I
have no difficulty grasping the impact a Dampp-Chaser climate control
system has (both humidification and dehumidification, reasonable
temperature stability follows as a result of the methodology utilized) on
tuning stability and on the life of the wooden components of the
piano.  The conditioning passes through the whole piano, grands in extreme
room climates benefit from closed lids when not in use.

If this schedule has not been followed previously you will have to follow
it later.  I've tuned a five year old Yamaha baby grand that was more than
a whole tone low in two passes (I'm a little more cautious now-a-days) and
it was stable even after enthusiastically playing Schubert in my Brahmsian
manner.  Three months later it required another pitch raise.  That's the
breaks.  Once the schedule is complete the only variables I know of are
consistent tuning methodology, climate and usage.

Perhaps this particular technician hadn't followed a piano all the way
through that process.

My half-pennies worth,
Andrew