Voicing out of the piano?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:27:01 -0800

How does one go about voicing out of the grand?  I mean keeping track of
results, unless you are working with new hammers and intend to treat them
the same.

Andrew

Andrew,
Use chalk to mark the keys that you want to "attack". I make a vertical
"slash" on each key. The length of the "slash" tells me how much, like short
one is just a little and a really long one is "ATTACK"!<G> A horizontal
"slash" means the opposite, ie brighten. I use this method to align hammers
in Square Grands as well only there, I put a "slash" on the left of the key
which means move the hammer to the left. Short "slash" is a little, etc. You
can use other "symbols" to tell you other things to do, as well, such as let
off, drop, checking. Once you are finished with your tasks, erase all of the
marks. Oh, as I voice, I erase each when I've got it where I like it. If you
use soft chalk, it comes off easily. To avoid the chalk "mess", I have a
"Chalk Chuck" that holds the chalk and you don't get it all over you and the
piano.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police