Upside down Kimball spinet: anyone have casters for this?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 02:57:28 EST

This afternoon I got a call from a woman who stated that the movers had
broken the casters on the front "legs" of her piano.  I told her I'd squeeze in a
look between appointments.  When I got to her house, the Kimball spinet was
wrapped in blankets, and was upside down!  That was a first for me.

The front casters were indeed broken.  They are those "futuristic" ball
thingies that are virtually useless.  Finding casters like this is not the problem.
 How they attach to the piano is another matter.

The casters are unremovably attached to the plates.  The legs are rectangles
of flat steel that function as legs with toe-blocks.  The caster plates attach
to mounts of the same size that are welded to the legs.  Each caster is
attached to the piano by 4 machine screws around half an inch long.

Is there a storehouse of Kimball parts that anyone has knowledge of that
might have a set of these casters?  I will probably fabricate some gliders out of
wood and felt if I can't find replacements.  Then I'll put the piano rightside
up and tune it(if possible).

Thanks,

Dave Stahl