Haines Grand

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 02:43:46 EST

List,

I went to Greg Debrisay's house today to check out the Haines baby grand that
has been talked about on the list of late.  It was my first look at one of
these pianos.

The mechanism is purty durned simple.  The soft pedal is a lift system rather
than a shift system.  The repetition spring, besides lifting the hammer
without the aid of a balancier, also assists the jack.  There are two regulating
buttons, one for drop, and one for let-off.

There is a disclaimer on the hammer flange rail that states that the
repetition springs were set at precisely the correct load by the manufacturer, and
should only be regulated if absolutely necessary(that's a paraphrase).  There is
a picture of the proper tool next to the text.

It seems to me that the goal of the company was to use as few raw materials
as possible (the piano WAS made in the depression).  The keybed consists of a
few crosspieces that the action rests on, with two very large squares of open
space on either side of the center divider.

I applaud Greg for making a really tidy jig out of a piece of plywood and
rods of different diameters that does a great job of making new springs to
replace the ones that have broken.  Very inventive!  I see a future PTG member here.

Dave Stahl