tubby bass string "invigoration"

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:46:14 -0600

Subject: Re: tubby bass string "invigoration"

> i scrubbed the string with
> steel wool to remove the dust and surface grime then
> soaked it in petrol for 2 hours, then a dilute
> hydrochloric acid solution for about 1/2 hour (i tried
> just ONE string at first) the results were amazing
> really.....
> Amery
> Singapore (60-100% humidity)

    Maybe it's an old salesman's or old technician's tale, but I've always
heard that any liquids that get on bass strings will make them buzz.  And
experience bears this out somewhat in that many buzzing bass strings I've
encountered have been splashed with water, Coke, beer, stain or finish at
the factory, whatever.  HOW liquid causes a bass string to buzz, I don't
know.  It probably doesn't always, but I never risk cleaning bass strings
with liquids.
    Comments from List?
    --David Nereson, RPT

_One of our chapter members brought a newer (1990's) studio piano for a tech
session.  It had DEAD bass strings.  The members discovered that a soda was
sprayed into the piano form the treble end with most of the liquid reaching
the wound strings.  One member familiar with the problem, pulled a sample
string out, washed it with soap and water, blew it off with compressed air,
applied MEK to the string to remove the water and blew it off again.  The
results were a new sounding string.  He developed this process to service
the bar/night club pianos with the occasional "beverages" spilled in.

Paul C