tubby bass string "invigoration"

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:40:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "aMeRy cHaY" <aquatred_chay@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:13 AM
Subject: Re: tubby bass string "invigoration"

> Hello list,
>
> I did once do the bass strings on a relative's piano
> as an experiment (1963 Yamaha C3)...dead tone but
> quite ok bearing. I didn't have much ideas and I was
> ignorant to the effects of many string-abusing
> solvents at the time, so i scrubbed the string with
> steel wool to remove the dust and surface grime then
> soaked it in petrol for 2 hours, then a dilute
> hydrochloric acid solution for about 1/2 hour (i tried
> just ONE string at first) the results were amazing
> really.....it got back it's roar and might...but i
> wouldn't try it again...the thinner bichords nearly
> dissolved in the acid! So far it's been 3 years and
> the strings are still doing ok....no rusting/strength
> problems....and the piano's tuned to 443 by the way :)
>
> Amery
> Singapore (60-100% humidity)

    Maybe it's an old salesman's or old technician's tale, but I've always heard that any liquids that get on bass strings will make them buzz.  And experience bears this out somewhat in that many buzzing bass strings I've encountered have been splashed with water, Coke, beer, stain or finish at the factory, whatever.  HOW liquid causes a bass string to buzz, I don't know.  It probably doesn't always, but I never risk cleaning bass strings with liquids.
    Comments from List?
    --David Nereson, RPT