tubby bass string "invigoration"

aMeRy cHaY aquatred_chay@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:13:52 -0800 (PST)

Hello list,

I did once do the bass strings on a relative's piano
as an experiment (1963 Yamaha C3)...dead tone but
quite ok bearing. I didn't have much ideas and I was
ignorant to the effects of many string-abusing
solvents at the time, so i scrubbed the string with
steel wool to remove the dust and surface grime then
soaked it in petrol for 2 hours, then a dilute
hydrochloric acid solution for about 1/2 hour (i tried
just ONE string at first) the results were amazing
really.....it got back it's roar and might...but i
wouldn't try it again...the thinner bichords nearly
dissolved in the acid! So far it's been 3 years and
the strings are still doing ok....no rusting/strength
problems....and the piano's tuned to 443 by the way :)

Amery
Singapore (60-100% humidity)