Full Service Appointments

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:00:50 -0600

>  I do not do anything beyond basic tuning without mentioning what I am
> doing
> to the customer. This allows the customer to know that more than tuning is
> happening and decide for themselves whether to appreciate my effort.
> Jim Bryant (FL)
> _____________

Yes, everything that is done goes on the receipt.  One of my favorite lines
has been, "You know those old pianos that sound like tin and some of the
keys don't work?"

The customer nods.

"Well, that can happen to your piano, too, but it can be avoided, with
regular maintenance."  Please note that I am not threatening anyone here
(and I doubt that anyone would ever describe my manner as threatening or
condescending.  Anyone?).  What I *am* doing is educating them about the
*results* of proper care.  (And, yes, I do tell them that there are other
things that can come about that are major jobs.)

Although I've been known as the highest priced technician in town (22 years
ago my mentor told me never to be known as a cheap tuner), my fee has never
been that much more than what others were charging.  And, to tell the truth,
after a while, I didn't really pay attention to what others were charging,
anyway.

I know what is meant by people not wanting to pay for something they don't
really want.  You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but every time I go to
buy a tool or appliance and the sales person asks about purchasing one of
those extended warranties, I do an internal burn and think, "Why the heck
don't they just include a good warranty with the purchase in the first
place?!!"

Dang, I need to go buy a new cordless drill........

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Somewhere near Peoria, IL