Value of 1880 Bechstein no. 11,212

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:32:58 +0100

Sorry bout that.. hit the send button a tad too soo.

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>List
>I need some feedback. I looked at a remarkably well preserved
Bechstein. 6 1/2 ft in rosewood grand. My Dads shop finished &
>strung it 23 years ago. Quite a good sound for a 123 yr. old board.

Amazing aint it ? :)

>Original leather covered hammers.agraffes to the top, violin bridge,
>big tail. Perfect ivory. The sound is a little woody in the top. I find
>the old designs with agraffes all the way up to be a bit weak but this
>was not bad. The rosewood case has nice carved legs, round fallboard, &
>beautiful cutout type music desk. I have trouble getting excited about
>pianos this age but someone would. I need a range of evaluation for
>insurance purposes. I have an idea but don't want to say till Ihear
>from some of you who perhaps have a better grasp of this market. Oh, it
>has a 3 legged matching original stool as well.
>Thanks in advance    Dale

Impossible to really put a price on these things... but if you want my
opinion... get an antique dealer to appraise its value as a pure antique
and figure that into your equation. Much has to do with how well it
looks,... general quality and type of refinishing, etc. How it performs
as a music instrument is really a second issue. You know already how to
judge that.

One thing you can count on... piano techs nortoriously underprice these
things, while harpsichord and forte traders will sit on them long enough
to make a very pretty penny indeed.

Cheers
RicB
--