Full Service Appointments

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:14:25 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Once, when being pressured to buy that extended warranty for an appliance,
> I finally asked the salesman (who also happened to be the manager of the
> department) if it was really needed with this appliance. Without skipping a
> beat he assured me that it was and started to repeat all the benefits of
> the warranty. I considered his answer for a moment and then told him I'd
> not be taking the appliance -- I'd go elsewhere and find one that was built
> to be more reliable. He still hadn't thought of an answer as I walked out.
>
> Del

He then no doubt proceeded to service the next of 50,000 customers lined up
behind you and sold that fellow the same appliance, probably at a better price
for the store then he'd have gotten out of you. They operate on the oldest
trick in the book..... pick up the nearest relevant communication device,
contact the first 10 people that any old random list will provide, and you are
guarenteed to get an affirmative to nearly any proposal you put out there 3
times out of the 10.

Have you not noticed how obviously profitible it must be to try and sell
yourself as the ex-consort to the ex-financial adviser to the ex-cousin of the
ex-president of Ugandia and offer any and all willing saps 20 million dollars
if they can only have your name and bank account number for the temporary
placement of 100 million ?

Nice sentiment tho.  You'd make an admirable addition to the numbers of the
high elves :)

Cheers
RicB

--