Accu-Tuner ad

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:14:34 EST

Corte writes:
<<  Then, after I did the best job I could on the
temperament, I would check each note and see what the cents offset was on
the Verituner.  This was very helpful in sharpening my aural skills.

You can do the same with unisons.  Set a three-string unison the best you
can and then use the ETD to measure the relative differences between the
left/center string and the right/center string. >>

I don't trust the machines to tune unisons.  They cannot distinguish phase
differences, nor the effects of coupling at the bridge.  When I tuned a piano's
worth of unisons strictly by the machine, there were perhaps 1/3 of them that
didn't sound like the rest, even though the machine said that those unisons
shared identical partials that had been measured.
  In order for me to get all my unisons alike, I have to tune one of the
three strings aurally, after I have set the other two.  There are just too many
variables in three imperfect "generators" trying to agree for a machine to get
them all the same.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">