Accu-Tuner ad

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:27:53 -0600

Ed,

I agree with you on this but I still feel an ETD can be useful in learning
to tune unisons.  However, I think it is best to choose notes in the middle
of the instrument and not at the extreme ends.

On the Verituner, all the strings must be in perfect unison before the
spinner will stabilize.

Of course, when tuning in real life, all unisons must be tuned by ear.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      A440A@aol.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       pianotech@ptg.org
                      pianotech-bounces        cc:
                      @ptg.org                 Subject:  Re: Accu-Tuner ad

                      11/07/2003 02:14
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Corte writes:
<<  Then, after I did the best job I could on the
temperament, I would check each note and see what the cents offset was on
the Verituner.  This was very helpful in sharpening my aural skills.

You can do the same with unisons.  Set a three-string unison the best you
can and then use the ETD to measure the relative differences between the
left/center string and the right/center string. >>

I don't trust the machines to tune unisons.  They cannot distinguish phase
differences, nor the effects of coupling at the bridge.  When I tuned a
piano's
worth of unisons strictly by the machine, there were perhaps 1/3 of them
that
didn't sound like the rest, even though the machine said that those unisons

shared identical partials that had been measured.
  In order for me to get all my unisons alike, I have to tune one of the
three strings aurally, after I have set the other two.  There are just too
many
variables in three imperfect "generators" trying to agree for a machine to
get
them all the same.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT