Accu-Tuner ad

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:17:32 -0700

Dear Wayne,
I tune with an old version of an ETD (Peterson 490ST) and what I say is
always, Always! tune from the middle out each way and augment what your
tuner suggests (think of it as a suggestion) with what you hear.  I overlap
the middle octave going up to make sure that everything is unified.  This
may mean stretching a little more, or less, and a lot more
key-punching.  Tuners are great devices to use on those nasty little pianos
whose fundamental notes are lost in the harmonics (base) and whose treble
is too short to tune by ear.  But, they don't hear what you hear.  Check
your octaves and intervals as you go.  Except as reported about the
Verituner, they, ETDs, don't necessarily harmonize the overtones (usually
filtered out by the electronics).  You have to do that by ear.
ETDs can keep you honest though.  I've followed a cranky aural tuner who
claimed to tune ET but obviously didn't, can't identify the temperament
with any known well-temperament either ;-) .  Clients who called me in
because they were unsatisfied with that tuning, liked what I did and no
longer look down their noses at ETDs.  It should be pointed out that if you
can't tune aurally you won't be able to tune any better then a client with
an ETD and a lot of patience (likely you will be called in to fix their
broken strings anyway).  I've also encountered an aural tuning where the
tuner cancelled out a false beat on one note and then perpetuated the near
1/4 tone sharp up by octave through the treble until he couldn't hear to
tune anymore (usually about 1.5 octaves on top).  Aural tuners: check those
intervals too, play chromatic interval scales of thirds, fourths and fifths
and you will catch that kind of mistake before it becomes your signature.
For those clients who think you should be quick and cheap, an ETD is a
great tool to keep you organized and consistent.  Even tuners have bad days.

My ha-penny's worth,
Andrew