Accu-Tuner ad

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:50:48 -0700

on 11/7/03 10:30 PM, Erwinspiano@aol.com at Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

Anyone understand what I mean?

Please be gentle...

Wayne Lutzow
Lincoln, CA
Sacramento Valley PTG
   Wayne
 I applaud you for your candor honesty, & truthful assessment of your own
tuning. You can obviously hear & have an intuitive idea as to what it is a
well laid out tuning sounds like. With these qualities you will find what
you're looking for. Peter Clark is a good friend of mine & also one of the
finest tuners, & vouchers I've ever worked with. I would ask him to give you
some guidance. He's a generous helpful person & has done much teaching in
your area.
  You must use your ears to check your tuning which means developing aural
skills to the point that they can overrides the defects & inconsistencies of
ETD's.
  Dale Erwin

Good job, Wayne.  Just keep going, and trust your ears; they're so much more
reliable, and pleasurable, than trusting a silicon-based device.

By all means, find a mentor whose tunings blow you away. Beg him or her to
let you hang around and listen.
You will learn so much; your body will learn so much.

About 15 months ago, on this list, I was challenged to take the final "step
out on the tightrope" as an aural tuner---completely old school, with just
one mute, one fork, one tuning hammer. So I did.  And, after an initial
harrowing couple of weeks, I started to get comfortable with the finality of
it----and then the doors literally blew open to a whole new world of
precision and musicality in my tuning. It sounded good to me before, but now
it sounds----well---perfect: liquid, swelling, blooming tones, everything is
such calm and beautiful balance, peace and harmony in every key, every chord
voicing; the "money area" floating out above the rest of the piano with so
much character and color....the world-class pianists I've been tuning for
over the years have definitely noticed, and commented.  I've seen the
absolute truth of Virgil Smith's statement that a solid, precise, whole-tone
musical tuning can cause a tremendous psycho-acoustic illusion in the
player----the regulation feels better, the voicing sounds better----but all
that's been done is the tuning.  Amazing.  Please understand I'm not
advocating
failing to regulate or voice---far from it---but I'm just making a point.

Becoming a world-class tuner will guarantee a comfortable income and big
respect in your local piano circles.
I guarantee it.  <g>

David Andersen
Malibu, CA