Accu-Tuner ad

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:45:34 +0100

Re: Accu-Tuner adHi David,

Have seen also some "old school" high class tuners working with strip mutes,
I can name a few that are almost worldwide knew. (Fabrinni for instance).
Always seen by "one mute" only tuners like a strange thing, but they produce
very good tunings also of course !

Indeed working with 1 mute  is another world of tone than the strip , but it
helps nowadays to have a second or a 3d !  Don't you check  tone with 2
strings (not 3) on some occasion ?

I could never be  so used to the long muting strip, but I take it for time
reasons on pitch changes or PR,  was never totally convinced with the global
homogeneity , or character of the tuning when using a strip mute.

On the other hand when tuning with "one mute only" we easely get caught in
our perception, and produce less compromizing in the more singing parts of
the piano, favourizing to the most our prefered intervals,  then the high
treble is often tuned lower, toning well when played in octaves, but too low
against the middle of the piano (that we tend to over strech in large rooms
often is not it ?).

If one stick to the fast beatings interval progression only, he produce a
very good "just" tuning but it does not put in front the instrument soul as
much. If one stick to the piano Ih, the instrument is toning very well, but
the tuning/temperament can lack "personality" (as obtained with pure
temperament tuning and the VT).

I believe that tuning with respect of the slower intervals color is giving a
more warm tuning than respect of faster ones (more brillant or more "German
type")

In the basses, we are really obliged to follow the quality of tone, that is
why only a multi partial device goes in the good direction, not trying to
tune extra large basses it the strings are sounding poorly on higher
partials for instance

The fact that our ears are pleasureables is in fact a handicap for tuning,
many instrumenst when they"talk" to me tell me "please needle me" or tweak
that regulation. That is why I spend so much time for a "tuning", I have to
force myself to make some "tuning days" where I tune only, ans as fast as
hell, to fight my natural tendency to try to obtain a very nice tone on any
piano whatever state and brand is. (15 /20 min a tuning was the last score
!)

Did you try the VT BTW ?

Best Regards.

                       Pianomania

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98