deaf tuning

Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:06:57 -0000

Hello Don Rose
You wrote:
"I did answer your question, but you perhaps did not understand the answer.
Using RCT, tune A0, then A#0, then B0, etc. That is chromatically--which is
a common term for musicians in North America (we don't have
hemi-semi-demi-quavers either *grin*)."
Yes. You're quite right. We do not have hemi-demi-semi-quavers here either.
We have hemi-demi-semi-quavers instead. You people on the other side of the
pond have got it all wrong. Just look at Nixon. Look at Bush. We have to
look at Blair (must we really?) <G> = ;-)
Now to the crunch. If you take all that strain on the frame/casting going up
chromatically from A0 by up to 250cents (= just over a whole TONE!)
Chromatically, I say, you're lucky you don't break more castings over there.
Even if you do do (not dodo!) a blind tune at the top first. Remember my
little post about a month ago which ended up by the owner and I drowning his
sorrows in cans of beer? That was what I had done. That is why I developed
my "Quadrant System" in mitigation of that event! The system should be in
the archives if you're interested.
Another dodge (sneaky thing) I use on old pianos demanding a pitch rise....
I put a slight "touch" of anti-oxident on all the strings where they bear on
the cast frame or in agraffes. Then, before raising them, I slightly lower
them so as to break any bondage which has occured... Bondage? this is
getting kinky.;-) + <G>
Regards
Michael G (UK) in darkest Sussex Downs