More on the Broadwood piano

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:49:32 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C3A7ED.AB9E6C80
Rob,

I truly like this post.
It describes exactly what caught me in piano matters.

I am restoring now an old Bechstein from 1870, before Germany gathered =
into an Empire.  I have lots of fun reading the newspaper punchings at =
the front rail.  Just for fun, I join some pics, but from another =
Bechstein, from 1928.  Funny to read what was in the air about that =
time.

St=E9phane Collin

(time doesn't respect what you do without it)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:08 AM
  Subject: More on the Broadwood piano

  Hello everyone.

  Thanks for all the input on the Broadwood piano.  I am continuing my =
search for historical information.  The Broadwood company still has many =
of it's early records from this era and for a fee they will research =
their archives for any information.  I will be submitting all the =
information to see what they may have.  In the meantime I have taken =
some pictures and will hopefully get them posted here soon.  It is truly =
a fascinating historic piece, quite a rare and remarkable find.  I am =
still in disbelief that I have it within my possession, I have never =
seen an early piano like this outside of a museum.

  I have finally pulled the action.  It is an amazing design.  The =
original hammers are all there.  The moldings are proportionally very =
small and have a unique bulb-ish shape, perhaps rosewood but I'm not =
certain.   They consists of what appears to be a paper or parchment-like =
inner layer followed by a layer of leather and then the outer felt.  All =
of the parts are original with the exception of a few hammer shanks.  =
The hammer butts are very small.  It is difficult to see the escapement =
system without some disassembly which I have not yet done.  There are no =
independent hammer flanges, rather the butts are all in sections =
threaded on a continuos center pin wire, (someone commented on this a =
few days ago, I'm not sure who because it's on my other computer at =
home).  Over all the action is in remarkable condition given it's age.  =
The two pedals operate the sustain and shift the action.  The pedal rods =
ride on brass plates instead of in felt bushings.  There is evidence =
that the bottom of the piano was originally covered with cloth.

  The name "J. Allatt" is stamped on the bottom of a piece of molding on =
the tail section. The name "Lough" with the serial number is neatly =
written in a simple calligraphic style on a small white label inside the =
key bed.  I am assuming these were the head craftsman who built this =
piano.  There are 18 wound strings totaling 36 strings on the bass =
bridge.  I have not yet determined if the strings presently on the =
instrument are original but my general feeling is that they are not.  =
The bridges are in remarkably good shape.

  I have been thinking about the historical significance of this piano.  =
It was built 20 years before Abraham Lincoln became president.  Pianos =
were built one at a time by assigned craftsman during this era making =
them very expensive.  Generally only the more aristocratic would have =
been able to afford them.  >From this conclusion it is fascinating to =
contemplate what it must have been like when this piano was new.  Can =
you imagine the day this piano was delivered to it's new home?  What was =
the weather like that day?  I picture the parlor of a well-to-do home.  =
The house was heated only by a fireplace.  The floors are wood and the =
area rugs would have been made by hand.  All lighting was either by =
candle or oil lamp.  I visualize the well dressed ladies sitting on the =
hand crafted chairs, the men in their suits smoking cigars and sipping =
brandy while the pianist plays the works of Chopin.  The smells from the =
cast iron stove in the kitchen fill the house.  The only transportation =
of the day was on foot, horseback, or by horse drawn carriage which is =
what one would hear outside the house on the cobblestone streets of =
London.  It took three months to cross the Atlantic by sailing ship.  =
160 years later this piano is still intact and is living history that =
you can actually touch.  If it could talk what stories would it tell?  =
What music did it play?  Can you hear the voices of Christmas carols =
gathered around it?  Amazing isn't it.  Ladies and gentlemen THIS is =
what makes the business worth all the trouble and is precisely why I =
became a piano technician.  It's not just the piano, it is also the =
living history which embraces it.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C3A7ED.AB9E6C80