Steel/Jig Strength

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:04:07 -0600

>Weeell, I don't do it for the recycle, just that steel-to-order was $1.80
>a pound last I ordered, plus $15.00 cut charge. I pay 20 cents a pound and
>torch cut is free at the yard I go to. Depending on if your jig is trunk
>size. I thought we were talking a bit larger. Again, it may seem tacky for
>a skilled Piano tech to be out scrounging, but I have a two-axis bridge
>hoist in my shop that will lift a half ton anywhere in a 20 by 35 foot
>area, and I paid just $320 for it. To be fair I picked up a few boat
>anchors as well, experience tells. If you could draw a sketch it may be
>easier to suggest.
>Glenn C.

Absolutely. A little less worrying about the propriety of an exalted highly
skilled and professional piano technician dumpster diving, and a little
more appreciation of both getting a good deal and recycling an otherwise
shamefully wasted resource to good effect, and we'd all be that much ahead.

Ron N