grand hammer hanging question

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:01:28 -0500

Hello,
I'm rebuilding the action for a 1968 Kawai Model 600 (6' long).  The
hammers are hung in a straight line, but the distance from the hammer
flange center pin to the center of the hammer molding tapers from 4
7/8" in the treble to 5" in the bass.  The top hammers sounded decent
before I took the action out of the piano; unfortunately, I didn't
check the case parts to see if I could move the action in or out.  Is
there any reason that I shouldn't duplicate the original specs?  Is
it important that all the hammers are hung at the same distance from
the hammer flange center pin?  If it makes any difference, I did
change the bore distance of the hammers from 2 3/16" to 2 3/8" in the
bass and from 1 7/8" to about 2 1/8" in the treble; this was done due
to the hammers overcentering and the action not being able to be
regulated.  I look forward to your responses.

Respectfully,
Jon

--
Jon Ralinovsky