Chinese Pianos

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:29:43 EST

In a message dated 11/10/03 1:14:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> I haven't been on the List in awhile so excuse me if this is something you
> have been extensively conversing about.  I have a customer in the market for
> a upgrade from his 100 year old upright.  He is enthused and is out looking
> and wanted my feedback on a Henry F. Miller (Pearl River) upright.  I
> recommended he keep looking but thought Pianotech's input would be helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David

David,

My experience has been that they are solidly built overall.  One problem I've
seen fairly often is balance rail shrinkage/expansion.  I've serviced many of
these and bubbling hammers appear suddenly at the change of seasons.

Mark Wisner is the head tech now, and he has stated that they are working on
curing the wood more consistently.

They are far better than they once were.

Dave Stahl