Hammer glue

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:38:28 -0500

I have glued hundreds of hammer felts back on in many "junk" pianos. I use
Zap medium CA glue. I spray a little accelerator on the wood, put the glue
on the felt and hold the two together for about 15 seconds. That's all it
takes. If the felt is loose on one side of the hammer, you can bet it's
ready to come loose on the other side too. You'd be better off to take the
felt completely off and reglue both sides. The hammer might not sound the
same afterward, depending on how close you got to the original way it was on
there, but it will sure sound better than it did while it was hanging loose,
or worse, lying on the bottom of the piano. The pianos I find with this
problem are not worth a set of new hammers. That's the only reason I glue
them back.

Regards
Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Michael Gamble
  Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:58 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Hammer glue

  Hello Jack Houweling
  You said:
  " I am trying to glue this hammer felt back on and am having a problem
with the glue.  I have been trying a white glue and clamps but it does not
hold...."
  How about considering hammer staples? See them in my suppliers cat.
www.fletcher-newman.co.uk  catalogue number 662
  Dunno about the glue, though, yet I can say if I found a hammer in the
same state as in your photo it wouldn't be the first time!!!
  Regards
  Michael G (UK)