The Runaway Piano (OT)

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:03:07 -0600

Literature 101 Assignment:

What was the author's overall message in this story?

Please explain how the different stages of life are represented in the =
text.

What do the characters, Mr. & Mrs. Dick, represent?

How would have Trumpel's reaction differed if he believed in an =
afterlife?

Explain why the one-tusk elephant is significant.

:-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
still considering that graduate degree in English
somewhere near Peoria, IL

-----

  The Runaway Piano
       There were so many things in Mr Dick's junk shop that he had =
quite forgotten what some of them were. There were tables with funny =
legs, chairs with wobbly backs, beds with broken springs and all kings =
of other useless items.

       "What a muddle!" Mrs Dick would grumble. "Why don't you get rid =
of some of it?"

       "Yes, yes, all right my dear, I will," Mr Dick would murmur. But =
he never did.

       Tucked away in a dark and dusty corner, behind the shop door, was =
an old piano. It had once belonged to a famous pianist and its name had =
been written across the front in gleaming gold letter : 'Trumpelmetzel'. =
But over the years the lettering had faded until only the word 'Trumpel' =
remained.

       There was no-one to play Trumpel now - only Grey-Whisker Mouse, =
who ran over the keys at night-time. And there was no-one to listen to =
Trumpel's music either - except for Jumbo, the white wooden elephant =
with only one tusk, who stood near the piano in the dark corner. He =
loved to hear the sounds that Trumpel made when Grey-Whisker Mouse ran =
over the keys. "What wonderful music," he would say. "Please Trumpel, =
let's have that tune again."

       One day when Mrs Dick was in the shop, she scolded Mr Dick yet =
again. "It's about time you turned out all this rubbish. That old piano =
should be chopped up for firewood. And as for that dreadful white =
elephant - just look at it, it's only got one tusk."

       "I suppose you're right, my dear," sighed Mr Dick. "Nobody seems =
to want things like that nowadays. I'll see about it tomorrow."

       That night, when the pale moonbeams were shining into Mr Dick's =
shop, Grey-Whisker Mouse came out to scamper over the piano's ivory =
keys. But the piano played a very sad tune. "What's wrong Trumpel?" =
asked Grey-Whisker Mouse.

       "Didn't you hear what Mr Dick said?" wailed Trumpel. "I'm going =
to be chopped up for firewood tomorrow."

       "Why don't you run away?"

       "How can I?" cried the piano. "I may have legs, but I can't move =
them."

       "I wish I could help," boomed Jumbo. "Real elephants are so =
strong. If only I could move!"

       A blue moon had risen in the sky and was shining full on the =
white elephant. And in the magic moonlight something wonderful happened.

       "Look! Look at Jumbo! He moved. I'm sure he moved!" squeaked =
Grey-Whisker Mouse excitedly.

       "Yes," boomed Jumbo, "but I'll have to act fast. This kind of =
magic only happens once in a blue moon and doesn't last long."

       The Piano started to move, slowly at first, then fast and faster =
and faster until with a tremendous crash it burst through the doorway =
and landed out in the street.

       "Oh no," groaned Trumpel. "Now you've done it, Jumbo. You'd =
better escape while you can."

       At that very moment the moon disappeared behind a cloud. "Oh =
dear," said Jumbo. "I knew this magic wouldn't last. I can't move at all =
now."

       Lights came on in the shops and houses round about, and soon =
people were running up the street. Mr Dick rushed downstairs to see what =
had happened. "How did the piano get there?" he said, rubbing his eyes. =
"And that elephant!" With a neighbor's help, Mr Dick carried the piano =
and the elephant back into the shop. Then, still feeling very puzzled, =
he went to bed.

       Next morning, the story of the night's strange happenings soon =
spread through the town. One neighbor told another that Mr Dick's shop =
had been broken into - and someone else suggested that he must have some =
really priceless antiques. When Mrs Dick heard this suggestion, she =
said, "Oh yes, he has, oh of course he has. He has lots of priceless =
antiques."

       After that, people began coming in to the shop, first in ones and =
twos, then in threes and fours, eager to have the pick of Mr Dick's =
priceless antiques. Soon there was almost nothing left for Mr Dick to =
throw out or chop up. But still no-one seemed to want the old piano or =
the white wooden elephant with only one tusk.

       Mr Dick was just about to close his shop at dinner-time when a =
young man rushed in, clanging the doorbell.

       "What can I do for you, young sir?" asked Mr Dick. He recognized =
the young man as a music student who lived in a tiny little room down =
the street.

       "I heard you have a piano for sale," said the young man. "Is it =
still here? Can I see it?"

       "Mr Dick will let you have it cheap," said Mrs Dick hastily, "if =
you take that elephant as well."

       The young man hesitated. He was not sure that he had room for an =
elephant as well as a piano. He ran his fingers thoughtfully over =
Trumpel's keys. "I do like the sound it makes." Then he looked at the =
white elephant. "All right. The elephant goes with the piano. I'll take =
them both."

       Jumbo was so happy - and so was Trumpel! And inside the piano =
Grey-Whisker Mouse did a little dance for joy - for he had no intention =
of being left behind by his two friends.

       "You won't regret it, young man," said Mr Dick. "This piano used =
to belong to a famous pianist. So I am sure that with its help you too =
will be famous one day!"

       And do you know - he was!