Loose Tuning Pins

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:15:02 -0700

Listmembers:
I tuned a 1911 Chas. Stieff upright piano this week.  Overall it was in
fairly good shape.  Most of the tuning pins tightened up adequately upon
driving.  The deep bass ones did not.  They would detune (turn) as they
were played.  I was thinking of doping them but it is in a small area to
lay a heavy full-size upright down in and there are mixed reviews with
respect to effectiveness.
I was seriously thinking of replacing the tuning pins with longer and
fatter ones.  I am interested in comments regarding this.  Should the hole
be drilled out to remove damaged wood fiber?  If so, how much smaller than
the tuning pin should the drill bit diameter be?  After getting them in and
bringing the strings up to tune should I hammer them in so they are
even?  (It is still hard for me to predict height after stringing and tuning.)

Andrew Anderson
Las Cruces NM