Loose Tuning Pins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:06:18 -0700

Andrew, No need to repin, or lay the piano on its back!
Heres what worked for me last week.
Tools needed, 1 Micro fine needle used for giving insulin.
Supplies needed, paper towel and THINNEST CA glue.
Be sure to have plenty of light in the area you are working and ventilation.
A mask is also a good thing if you have one as well as glasses of some sort
to protect eyes.
Process, Remove the label from the glue bottle ( if it is not clear pour
into different container ) so that you can see the fluid as you fill the
micro needle. You do not want to get CA on the needle barrel as things could
get kind of stickey.

Place paper towel below the tuning pins to be treated and try to push it in
between the strings so that the towel will wick up any CA that spills. Also
take care to wipe the needle on the towel every time it is removed after
dispensing CA as there will sometimes be a little drop of glue  that could
go where you do not wish it to go.

Insert the needle along the tuning pin base and bushing if any ( it
sometimes will go in quite a ways ) and dispence CA until you see the fluid
start to appear. Treat the next pin.
Some pins will need up to 3 treatments before the pin will hold at pitch as
voids are being filled.
Notice that no activator was used. I feel the glue is much stronger when I
do not use it, as too much will turn the CA a milky color.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com