The Runaway Piano (OT)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:41:33 -0600

>Literature 101 Assignment:
>
>What was the author's overall message in this story?

Never eat the little mushrooms with the fringe. Or at least stay away from
any permanent recording media for at least a day after.

>Please explain how the different stages of life are represented in the text.

I got older just reading it. I shudder to think what it did to the author.

>What do the characters, Mr. & Mrs. Dick, represent?

Themselves. There was no mention of literary agents in this story unless
the Dicks are undisclosed agents, in which case they might well have
represented each other unless they were misrepresented altogether in this
story in which case they might very well sue. Did any of these characters
represent a lawyer, do you suppose?

>How would have Trumpel's reaction differed if he believed in an afterlife?

He would surely have waxed philosophical, and the story would have been
much longer. All that waxing might well have enhanced his looks though, and
thus his market value, possibly saving him from the axe only to relegate
him to eternity as a decorative picture shelf just left of someone's
fireplace, possibly a literary agent's, thus sending yet another level of
confusing messages to the aging readers who plod on awaiting the elusive
punch line.

>Explain why the one-tusk elephant is significant.

Ask around. Any elephant loose in an antique shop is significant,
regardless of the number of tusks - up to and including two. Note too, that
we aren't told which tusk is missing, and which is left. If the left is
missing and the right is left, then is the right tusk the right tusk to be
left, or would the left be the right to be left, which would make the right
the missing one? This information could have been given some significance
that would not only have cleared up the omission, but also somewhat
enhanced the story, possibly guaranteeing that the author would be famous
someday. At least for a while. Or not.

I hope this helps clear up a few of the murkier symbolic aspects of this
piece. Happy reading from your old Uncle Wookie.

Ron N