Making a soundboard-S&S L board

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:57:36 EST

In a message dated 11/13/03 1:32:52 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

> What do I mean? This will answer Crashvalves question as well. When=20
> pre-stressing a board with good legitimate crown values as I described, it=
 does=20
> require having the plate in and secured with bolts & screws. Enough so tha=
t when=20
> driving the maple wedges between the struts and the bridge tops it (the=20
> plate)=A0doesn't flex.
>=20

Well drat, I was hoping you were talking about iterating some trigonometry=20
that would use the string scale and degrees of downbearing and yield a down=20
bearing in pounds. This then loaded onto the bridge to test board deflection=
. At=20
this stage of soundboard build, the only variable left to tweak is plate=20
set/downbearing, and knowing the amount of deflection expected from a board=20=
might be=20
a good indicator of stiffness ? Sorry if this seems overly minute, but I see=
m=20
to get farther along in just about any piano task if I can mike it up. BTW=20
how did you measure that .400 panel ? I have seen an un-mounted soundboard=20
calipered using a dial indicator clamped to the top of a jigsaw (sans blade)=
 but in=20
the piano is different. I finished putting a .020 probe into the end of a=20
depth mike