Making a soundboard-S&S L board

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:49:06 EST

In a message dated 11/13/03 11:30:09 PM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

> From me, well there are simple ways to figure angle of deflection. It's th=
e=20
> rear length of the string from the front bridge pin to the aliquot times .=
=20
> 026 for 1 & 1/2 degree. .017 for 1 degree. This will give you distance bea=
ring=20
> specs. I believe the average bearing force for a typical 160 lb. tension=20
> scale is a bout four pounds per string at 1& 1/2 degrees deflection. What=20=
I know=20
> is that pre stressing the board usually yields=A0 a similar deflection aft=
er=20
> it's strung. It's simple to measure from the strut down to the bridge top=20
> after the tension is on & I usually find about the same amount of squash t=
hat=20
> pre-stressing yielded.
>=20

Your trig sounds betterer than mine Dale. and I find the use of plate as a=20
custom stressing framework an especially elegant method of work as the Brits=
=20
have it. Have you ever slapped a few dial indicators on a plate while chippi=
ng to=20
see if it jinks around at all ? Just curious
Glenn C.