pinblock duplicating jig

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:34:27 -0500

I have two open-face pinblocks coming up in my shop - a Knabe and a =
Bechstein. I hadn't decided quite how to re-do the pinblocks. I was =
thinking that I might pop the top veneer off, plug with high-quality =
plugs set in epoxy, and then put a new veneer on the top. Anyone care to =
argue one way or another regarding time required to do this compared to =
a complete new block and regarding the quality of the final outcome? =
Thanks

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Yardarm103669107@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 2:20 PM
  Subject: Re: pinblock duplicating jig

  In a message dated 11/14/2003 10:14:48 PM Central Standard Time, =
ANRPiano@aol.com writes:

    I tend to work fast and try to be as efficient as possible.  This =
often also entails taking educated guesses as to how the fitting will =
proceed and make some the initial fitting trials more aggressive.  When =
it comes to the more involved multiple level blocks it does take longer =
than one hour, but on a standard type I try to move it along quickly.  =
For me speed improved quality, I find fast work usually means efficient =
work habits which produce consistent repeatable results.

  As ever we all do, Andrew. While I have never seen a block "fully =
fitted"--100% wood only contact with the flange--even with the best =
pianos, getting a block to "fit" 60, 70, 80% takes repeated passes and =
very fine shaping. I don't know of anyone who can do this in under an =
hour. Are you talking about glassing the blocks or some other procedure?

  PR-J