Piano Empty Trees WAS Re: Help with Steinway Model..

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:46:13 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 10:07 PM
Subject: Piano Empty Trees WAS Re: Help with Steinway Model..

> At 5:15 PM +0100 11/16/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
> >  No biggie... it just would be fun to hear some of these older
> >instruments we all come across, and compare them with some of the
> >topics we discuss. Besides... I'd like to hear you play a few licks
> >for us on your A anyways !
> >
> >Cheers
>
> The last time we had an mp3 posted on the list, Stephen Airy was
> trying to decide whether to just twist the existing bass strings on
> his Ricca upright, or replacement them (or even yet, do a rescaling).
> Yours would be a definite up-tick in musical quality.
>
> There are people on this list who could point to shareware (or even
> demo) software which could record direct to disk (digitizing an
> analog signal from a medium quality stereo microphone). If not, you
> might check with any classical chamber musicians for someone with a
> Mini Disc (for rehearsal purposes) with a companion-quality
> microphone. These are getting quite miniature, and are not especially
> esoteric equipment. The analog output of that of course would have to
> be digitized at the computers audio line input before conversion to
> mp3. Ago, there are people in this list who can point you in the
> direction of proper software. If you had a mac, I'd set you up.

Set me up?  But I'm already married!  Oh, yes.....well, I don't know
anything about what you wrote, so unless I can find someone to help me (who
won't run out screaming in frustration at my naiveté), the little house
somewhere near Peoria, will be just a house and not a recording studio.

> Then again, we're talking 7' ceilings in a 10'x14' dining room,
> right? Not to worry, good ears can hear past that to get to the
> piano's intrinsic sound.

This is what I see as the stumbling block. To tell the truth, if I'm going
to expose
myself, I'd like to do it well.  :-)

> So given the way Ric phrased his request, what program are you going
> to give him, the Jerry Lee Lewis? the Yanni? the Liberace?

Well, for Ric's sake I could pull out some Grieg.  Otherwise, I'm afraid
it'd have to be Brahms, Schubert, or something from the graduate recital
that
never was...... :-)  Can't think about it now, I'm going on a Field Trip to
a Native American Burial sight with the first graders today.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
first grade room mother, going on the road  ;-)