Creating an action from scratch

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:56:23 -0800

I remember from Yamaha that the first thing a designer does is=
 determine where the key level is and work from there.  Well you=
 know the keys can only come up as far as the fallboard. =
 Roseville? key makers or Pianotek can tell you typical thickness=
 top/bottom of keys, add some for punchings and you've got the=
 approximate thickness of your frontrail.  Be sure to decide=
 where the balance rail goes after you've determined your capstan=
 location...sort of like Steinway in a parallel dimension of=
 opposites.  What the heck do I know...it does sound interesting=
 though...

David I.

From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Creating an action from scratch

Sounds like a daunting, but interesting task. I guess what you=
 would need to do is start at the strike line across all the=
 strings and work out to the keyfront from there. I've never done=
 any such thing - would sure like to keep abreast of what you do=
 though. I have a 1902 6' 4" Knabe in my shop right now for a=
 complete remanufacture. Perhaps if your plate and action cavity=
 are similar, I might be able to help you with some measurements=
 off my Knabe?

Terry Farrell