Creating an action from scratch

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:21:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 19, 2003 5:04 PM
Subject: Creating an action from scratch

> I'm entertaining the possibility of creating an action from scratch for a
> 1909 Knabe--a technician seems to have disappeared with the action a few
> years ago and has not been heard from since.  I'm trying to get an idea
how
> to begin going about this.  At first thought it seems like a rather
> daunting task.  Any suggestions, including readings, would be
appreciated.

> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

It's not all that difficult, actually. I mean it's a lot of work, but
nothing mysterious.

Just what do you have? Are the cheekblocks intact? Is the keyslip present?
How about the keyframe stopblock? Is the damper tray still in the piano? Is
the piano strung or unstrung?

You start by making a scalestick. Assume the hammer strike line starts
about 3.5 mm aft of the V-bar at C-88. You should be able to figure out if
the keylength was uniform or tapered by measuring the keybed. With this
information you can lay a stick under the strings along the strikeline and
mark off the unison centers. Once you have the scalestick marked off, you
can drop a line (a plumbob) down and mark off the strikeline point on the
keybed. This, along with the string elevation, should pretty much give you
all you need.

Contact me privately for more details.

Del