Pleyel from 1860

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:27:07 +0200

Hello everybody!

I've seen a small Pleyel upright for sale. It is from around 1860-65 (serial
number ~34000), no cast iron frame, just 1 or 2 iron bars.
It is in decent shape, with a pretty bookmatched veneer case, although it
doesn't hold the tuning. It has a strange overdamper action, with really
tiny dampers, without an escapement on the jack (I wonder how it it supposed
to work - but it repeats as well as a modern upright). It is parallel
strung, with the strings angled to the right. Left pedal shifts the hammers
like on a grand (una corda).
The sound is not bad, and would expect it to be quite nice when properly
tuned.
Anyway, I was thinking of buying it.
Would this be an instrument worth getting or should I kep looking? How much
would one pay for such an upright?
I have some (unfortunately bad) pictures in case someone's interested.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com