grand backchecks leather replacement/Carl M.

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:09:08 -0800

Thanks to Jeannie and Joe for referring me to the article.  Thanks to Isaac
for clarifying the procedure.  The

point I was curious about was when do you apply the water.

I assume you apply the water before gluing the end to the backcheck wood.
After thinking about it, here's my proposed procedure.

Using hot hide glue, glue the strip to the top of the backcheck.  By the
time you get them all done glue should be set.  Now, massage the strip to
the bottom and glue with hide glue and hold with a clothes pin.  When done
judge the needed tension and apply water as needed to get the shrinkage
required.

Some time ago I bought several packets of powdered resin (baseball
pitchers).  I'd thought that a bit of that on the backcheck leather would
assist the catching.  I admit that I've never tried it to speak of.
Properly adjusted backchecks seem to work just fine usually.  I had thought
that dissolving the resin in (?) and painting it on the hammer tail
would transfer just a touch to the leather and give that little boost to the
catching function.  Watcha think.  I need to find what dissolves resin.
Denatured alky doesn't do it

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.