Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:40:20 -0500

At 5:33 PM -0800 11/25/03, David Love wrote:
>The problem I have with impact hammers is that I can't feel what the pin is
>doing.  The biggest leap in tuning stability for me came when I learned to
>feel the pin movement in my fingers through the lever--something I think
>every tuner should strive for.  I find that the impact hammer takes away
>the tactile part of tuning.

Which why I'm much happier with the hammer which can deliver me both.
A hammer which will tell how string the pinblock grip is, and how
wobbly the pin is outside the block. If it tells me that moving the
bottom of the pin with delicacy and efficiency, is not going to be
done easily, then I move to impact mode. It does have numerous
advantages in higher torque situations.

At 9:16 PM -0600 11/24/03, rsnelson0984 wrote:
>I'm looking for an impact tuning hammer that doesn't have
>adjustable settings.

Richard, outside of Joe Goss's swappable handle weights, all the
impact hammers I seen have had nothing in he way of "an adjustment".
Or did you want an "adjustment"?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If you think that Mick Jagger will still be doing the whole rock
star thing at age fifty, well, then, you are sorely, sorely mistaken."
     ...........Jimmy Fallon as the uber-road manager in "Almost Famous"