Hammers- alcohol treatment/Isaac

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:23:11 -0600

At 07:39 PM 11/26/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello Avery Todd, Don Rose and list
>Thanks very much for the very detailed reply to my request. I am, as ever,
>struck by the sincere desire of you all to impart genuine knowledge,
>"know-how"and help to those like myself who ask. The question of:
>Tools required.
>"1.  40 Watt Weller soldering iron with brass voicing head."
>This 40 Watt job - is it one of those soldering irons with a "U" shaped bit?
>And what is this 'voicing head', what does it look like, how is it fitted
>and is it home made or commercially available?

Hammer Iron picture is from the H.J. Fletcher & Newman Ltd. webpage.
The main difference is the one we're talking about is electric.

>And:
>"2.  Yamaha style voicing Blocks. 8" & 2 1/2" Length"
>What do these look like?

I've tried but I can't find a picture. It's just a wedge shaped
block of wood the app. dimensions listed above which is inserted
behind the wippens and in front of the backchecks (after the hammers
are lifted out of the way, of course) and then the hammer tails rest
on that block for support while voicing. With steam, needles, whatever
when the hammers need support.

>" With very little practice the whole job can be
>accomplished with the action resting in your lap at the piano."
>Am I right in assuming a grand piano is being dealt with here?

How often have you voiced an upright action with it in your lap?
Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

Avery

>Are there pics of this equipment? Then I might be able to cobble some
>together...!
>Many thanks - this goes straight into my 'archives-from-the-pianotech book!'
>Michael G (UK) 'Twas night time in the Sussex Downs.... Dark, forbidding...
>almost tangible":-)

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Hammer_Iron.jpg
Type: image/jpeg