Glue

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:21:12 -0600

Many thanks to all the posts about hammer glue.  I've saved them=
 all.  I'm going to hang a set tomorrow so there's no time to=
 order the special glues, but I'm going to put in the countersink=
 on the hammers and try that.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: <Erwinspiano@aol.com>
To: <dm.porritt@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Glue

In a message dated 11/27/2003 8:10:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,=
 dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:
OK, I know I'll get flamed by some but I have a brand new flame=
 suit so I'm safe.
Where can I find some good glue for hammers?  I'm tired of using=
 hot hide glue.  It's fussy!  If you use it straight it jells=
 before you get the hammer in its final position.  If you use to=
 much additive it is weak.  It gets moldy between uses.  I still=
 get loose hammer heads even when doing it right.  As far as I=
 can tell none of the current factories use hide glue for hammers=
 and I don't find loose hammer heads on them.  I know Andre has=
 some glue listed on his web site, but it's not available here. =

   Suggestions-dave

   Dave
  Hey man no flame suit required. I can totally relate to your=
 frustration. Even when the hot glue works well to me there isn't=
 enough working time & if you twist it much after it jells well=
 there goes the joint. Yellow glue tends to pull hammers out of=
 line as it dries & its working time is too fast for me & if you=
 need to tweak a hammer too much as its getting set up you'll end=
 up damaging your center pin fit. Ask me how I know.
     I switched to using fresh cold hide glue years ago & never=
 looked back. There is plenty of working time to get things=
 straight& it's very strong. & Since it doesn't set as fast as=
 hot hide glue it gives you plenty of fudge time to check for=
 straightening hammers without center pin damage or challenging=
 your spirituality. It fills gaps to a point as well. If you need=
 to pull it off use a heat gun & hammer puller, no sweat.
   The secret to using any of the glues mentioned is an accurate=
 hammer bore job & a bore size that doesn't fight the glue drying=
 propertiesof the chosen glue. I personally hate fighting too=
 tight of a bore job. It's always problematic. Ask me how.....
   Dale