Dummy Damper/Keith

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:57:48 -0500

Joseph Garrett
Subject: Re: Dummy Damper/Keith

At 8:31 AM -0800 11/29/03, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>... I add
>a dummy damper to many, to eliviate the slight pressure that an
>out-of -balance lift rod will cause against the damper levers. Makes
the
>slight "over-ring" go away, big time!<G>

Joe,

Those must be some mighty weak damper lever springs to allow that
lift rod to exert enough weight against the levers to cause
over-ring. Mighty weak! Given that, by adding a dummy damper, you are
only applying a corrective measure to a situation that was already in
dire need of help.

Definitely a great shortcut idea to avoid replacing the springs though.

I guess by out-of-balance you are saying not a straight rod. Yes/No?

Regards,

Keith McGavern

Keith,
	Respectfully I think your missing the concept here. The relative
strength of the damper springs is not an issue here. We are talking
about the damper rod touching the bottom of the damper lever thus
inhibiting its ability to exert pressure on the vibrating string. The
dummy is not a shortcut . It's a simple and effective method to keep the
lift rod away from the levers. The squeak as earlier mentioned is a
common problem but an easy fix.
	Tom Driscoll