Tuning for violinists

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:53:33 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/04 7:55:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, koko99@shaw.ca
writes:

> Can you elaborate as to what the differences are re. tuning for a violinist.
> I have not run into anyone who questioned me about it.
>
> Carl / Winnipeg

Carl,

The people I tuned for seemed to not comprehend, no matter how much I
explained, the effects of severe environmental change--humidity primarily--on their
instruments.  In the case of the gentleman with the new Kawai upright, the fact
that he had his piano near an oft-opened window and the fact that it was a
new instrument that had just undergone a pitch lowering, he didn't understand
why the piano was unstable.

They are string players, and string players that have any ability must have
good pitch.   IMHO, these two chaps are either feeling cheated that their
pianos can't be tuned to their satisfaction, or they are trying to prove that their
ears are superior to those of the piano technicians that they have used.

It's like David Nereson said, "It's probably only at home where they
> realize they have some say in how the piano's tuned that they get the prima
> donna complex and decide that they have some innate ability to discern how
> much the octaves were stretched or what kind of temperament was used (if
> they even know there are different kinds)."

It's no big deal, just an occasionally frustrating part of this business.

Dave Stahl