a violonist trained ear (was tuning for violinist)]

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:42:47 +0200

Hello,

A common idea is that higher or larger stretch, may be more musically
forgiving that what tend to follow the natural justness of the instrument.

IMHO, this is because the extra stretch is adding a new temperament or
justness method, and that  fraud the ear, that instinctively tend to agree
with the pitches as being good.

A concert tuners told me once that if a note is too low it will be more
easily noticed that if it is too high.

Adding that to the acoustic effect of the room, that ask for higher treble,
and it is understandable that highly stretched tunings are rarely
problematic.

What I've find is that they are less good for all close harmony music, and I
like to avoid the kind of "straightness" that I feel is induced with high
stretch.

But seems evident to me that it is easier to open the tuning a lot,
depending of the room and the instrument, as we listen for a tone that is
reflected by the room's acoustic.

Violinist like to play the high treble really high, but when they play with
the piano they correct themselves, because they understand the features of
the instrument.

That is easier for them to correct their justness than for the piano tuner
to try to meet the violin high treble I think.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG