Keytops

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:26:30 +0200

Hello,

I have always seen full length ivory key top sold by our German parts
sellers as well as 2 parts. (not cheap) 1 piece ivory seem a late process
(1960 or later) I seem to recall that all previous instruments where 2 parts
ivory, but may be it have nothing to do with age.

What is sure is that actual ivory used is very thin, not very white, needing
a good 'butter cloth" (what you call cheese cloth) and white glue to look
normal.

I have seen the use of bone recovering, but the material look grayish and
get dirty too easily because of the grain orientation.

Mammoth or fossil ivory have been said to me like a second grade material,
possibly too brittle.

Ivorite from Yamaha is sold as a one part element that is only grossly
shaped and need to be cut to size, sanded and rubbed to get its final look,
it look interesting, but I notice it have a similar property as real ivory
that is the price (around 12$ for one key top, at last 400 $ a complete set
. it is thick and robust, but at some moment they had a problem with that
material that get grey and look dirty in a few years. they changed for free
numerous keyboards (C series) because of that, in fact this problem can be
corrected  at least temporarily (?) by sanding and a new rubbing (bleach
does not work) .

Best regards

Congratulations for your new job BTW !

Isaac OLEG