pinblock inserts-- or not

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:28:41 -0400 (EDT)

  I have a hientzman 6'2" grand #10552, 1894 I am
rebuilding for a client.

  The wide pinblock is thicker in the front
near the flange then at the back under the pins. The
thin ledge is wide.... 5 1/2 inches wide in the bass
section before the thicker area starts under the pins.
There is also a lovely Steinway style notch.

 I did something similar twice: in a chickering,
and in a knabe and remember how much work it was.
I routered out the thin areas, and fit from there;
many more hours of grinding.

 Considering the following. With so much wood in front
of the pins, why not just make straight cuts, a nice
big rectangle and fit in a new piece of pinblock, nice

ant tight. Tape up the bottom and fill in and space
with east system epoxy. Put a few maple dowels through
the joints at a 45 degree angle, and......"instablock"

This would preserve the old flange fitting, which is
good, make much less grinding and much less time.
The block is in good shape and the flange; no
delamination or cracks. I am replacing it simply for
age and tuning pin torques sake. An added advantage
is it would allow me to use a leftover slab of
pinblock laying around the shop that is just a bit
little too narrow for anything else

So.
Why should I do the whole block and not an insert?
Why might this be "bad"
Why might this be "good"

Thinking about it...................

                       Cheers