Metric Center Pin Sizes

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:05:20 -0600

Hi Jurgen,
Yes that is why who whats up and when I am confused and do not want to =
proceed untill we have the correct measurments for pins. While in Tokyo =
last week we tried to take measurments at a piano tuning school. The =
pins were in a center pin storage box like we use here but several sizes =
were missing and did not want to embarrass my host with pointing this =
out in front of his students. I realize that the pins that were measured =
might have been in the wrong bin as well.
Also here in the states we sometimes repin one flange that has become =
loose on one or both sides as well as repin flanges that are too tight =
using a special set of reamers that are exactly the correct size to do =
the job. We do  ( well most of us ) not use the old triangle reamer that =
was used in the past.

What number is assigned to the 1.10 mm pin and to the 1.70 pin?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jurgen Goering=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 8:57 PM
  Subject: Metric Center Pin Sizes

  List -=20

  I think German piano wire gauges are being mistaken for center pin =
sizes.  German piano wire sizes differ slightly from American gauges, =
but Joe Goss asked about center pin sizes.

  German center pins are not identified by any gauge, but by their =
thickness, e.g a pin with a diameter of 1.30 mm is called "1.30".  Very =
simple, actually.  Center pins are available from 1.10 mm through 1.70 =
mm in increments of  .025mm  (.043" to .067" increments of .001")   The =
conversion factor is 25.4.  =20

  The traditional European method of (re-)pinning uses 60cm (2 ft.) long =
center pin rods.  One of these days I might write a little piece on =
that.  If anyone is interested in these rods, visit my website:  =
www.pianofortesupply.com

  Jurgen Goering
  Piano Forte Supply

---