Metric Center Pin Sizes

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@island.net
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:53:51 -0700

Hi  Joe,
The beauty of working with the rods is that the beginning of the rod is
a straight reamer of the exact size you need.  The middle part of the
rod is used as a burnisher, again of the exact size.  The flange is
finally moved to the end and the rod is cut off.  Voila: a re-pinned flange.

While there are 25 sizes available, the most common pins used for pianos
range from  1.275 mm to 1.50 mm (.050 to  .059").  The other sizes have
other applications for harpsichords, orchestrions, etc.  I have about 14
sizes in stock, of which I carry 10 or so in my tool kit.
The pin sizes are not assigned numbers.  A 1.1o mm pin is called a
"1.10", a 1.70 mm is a "1.70".  That's it.  I am speaking of the German
center pins here.  I don't know what they do in Japan.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
Vancouver Island, Canada