Steinway parts- removing celluloid

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:00:12 -0500

Removing early plastic, be it celluloid, pyrilin or Ivorine, is a bit of a
crapshoot. Most of it will peel off with a flat knife blade under it.  My
favorites come off in one piece.  Some will come off with a warm iron.
Steam does not seem to help when I have tried that.  Heat the iron hot
enough to warm the celluloid and not melt it and it will peel off better.

Keyfronts (mostly celluloid), though, are another thing.  Sometimes they
will not come off for anything.  I have had some I had to take off with a
blowtorch by actually lighting the celluloid on fire.  It burns really fast
with LOTS of smoke.   Do it outside.  Some burn so fast it does not even
char the key wood.  Some burn too slow and will char the wood.  These I use
the disk sander and remove the key front that way.  Only burn them off if it
does no damage.  Sometimes sanding them off will catch them afire.  It most
often not flames but a fast smolder...looks more like a cigarette ash
burning.  This is not dangerous since it is not explosive, but it REALLY
stinks.  The smoke can't be a good thing to breathe.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org