DamppChaser confession

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:50:00 +0200

On 6-aug-04, at 17:20, jason kanter wrote:

> List,
> I hereby confess that I have never installed a Dampp-Chaser, never=20
> suggested installing one, never saw one that was working -- though I=20=

> have seen several pianos with neglected systems, buckets dried out,=20
> frayed wiring with baked insulation, bent aluminum and pushpins, or=20
> tubes that felt too hot -- and I have in general maintained a distaste=20=

> for these additions.
> =A0
> Mostly this is ignorance. I was never exposed to this technology in my=20=

> apprentice years (early 70s) -- SHeldon Smith never installed one=20
> during my year with him -- and I have also never heard a presentation=20=

> about DamppChasers, nor read any of their literature.
> =A0
> (Ignorance is when you ignore something. Stupidity is when you are in=20=

> a stupor.)
> =A0
> I see lots of talk on this list that implies that DamppChasers are=20
> integral to your way of life, most of you. They can also be a=20
> profitable element of the business. Could you tell me about this? And=20=

> are they high maintenance? And do they get neglected? Do you have to=20=

> chide the piano owner to take better care of the humidifier, for=20
> example? And don't the wires just get in the way? And are they pretty=20=

> much a given improvement up here in the Pacific Northwest?
> =A0
> Thanks in advance. May the dialog be healthy.
> =A0
> ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 =
|||=A0 ||=A0 |||=A0 ||=A0 |||
> jason kanter =95 piano tuning/regulation/repair
> bellevue, wa =95 425 562 4127 =95 cell 425 831 1561
> orcas island =95 360 376 2799
> [see historic temperaments at www.rollingball.com]

My picture was once used for a dampp chaser / life saver add in several=20=

piano magazines around the World.
I gave them (Dampp chaser) permission because I absolutely believe in=20
the system.
It follows the climatical changes from second to second and adjusts=20
itself accordingly.
At this moment there is no better safeguard for humidity changes and=20
maintenance is very low : the customer has to fill the water tank when=20=

the water light is blinking and about once every year the pads have to=20=

be renewed.
It protects the instrument and assures tuning stability.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -