DamppChaser confession

Matthew Todd pianotech88@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

Up here in the Pacific Northwest there is hardly a need for the whole Dampp Chaser system.

Matthew

jason kanter <jkanter@rollingball.com> wrote:
List,
I hereby confess that I have never installed a Dampp-Chaser, never suggested installing one, never saw one that was working -- though I have seen several pianos with neglected systems, buckets dried out, frayed wiring with baked insulation, bent aluminum and pushpins, or tubes that felt too hot -- and I have in general maintained a distaste for these additions.

Mostly this is ignorance. I was never exposed to this technology in my apprentice years (early 70s) -- SHeldon Smith never installed one during my year with him -- and I have also never heard a presentation about DamppChasers, nor read any of their literature.

(Ignorance is when you ignore something. Stupidity is when you are in a stupor.)

I see lots of talk on this list that implies that DamppChasers are integral to your way of life, most of you. They can also be a profitable element of the business. Could you tell me about this? And are they high maintenance? And do they get neglected? Do you have to chide the piano owner to take better care of the humidifier, for example? And don't the wires just get in the way? And are they pretty much a given improvement up here in the Pacific Northwest?

Thanks in advance. May the dialog be healthy.

jason kanter • piano tuning/regulation/repair
bellevue, wa • 425 562 4127 • cell 425 831 1561
orcas island • 360 376 2799
[see historic temperaments at www.rollingball.com]